Thursday, April 22, 2010

Diane Mattern



Diane Mattern
A life-long artist, my career has taken many twists and turns along the way. From corporate
advertising, to self-employed landscaper, to welding and concrete sculpture, my life (and
work) continue to evolve. Throughout it all, the constants are a sense of adventure and an
appreciation for the beauty of nature.
My work evolved from creating and installing landscapes and gardens, to creating pieces of
art to fill them. Enrolling in a Welded Sculpture class at Metro Community College in Omaha
introduced me to another world. Starting with trellises and birdbaths, I moved on to
sculptural pieces, including what I refer to as "Boings". Spirals fascinate me. One of the
things I discovered I was good at is creating movement in my work, particularly with
spiralled strips of steel. I bend each piece on a vise (cold), producing graceful ribbons,
which, when combined, create a dramatic sense of motion. Some of these pieces are
finished with a 'natural, oxidized patina' (aka rust) while others have a bold, bright
powdercoat finish...red, black, turquoise and silver, to name a few.
Trees are another constant. Just as the movement and flow in my "Boings" please me, so
does the curve of a tree, with branches and twigs bent by the elements of nature. You'll find
much of my work influenced by trees; candle holders, table legs, birdbaths, planters and
more. Part of the appeal is the addition of light, the play of shadows on each piece.
One of the great joys of being an artist is sharing my art with others. By connecting with
clients or seeing the eyes of a student light up, it gives me great satisfaction to see how art
enriches the lives of all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment